JG Development, Inc. was founded in 1990 by Jeff Grundahl and is now co-owned by Jeff and his wife Mary Grundahl.
Jeff and Mary are long-time residents of Mount Horeb, Wisconsin. Together, their goal is continued growth of JG Development and its four divisions, and the industries and communities they impact.
Mary has a professional background in sales. She is the current president of the Mount Horeb Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors and current chair of the Mount Horeb Economic Development Corporation New Business Outreach Committee (MHAEDC).
Jeff has more than 25 years of experience in residential and commercial new construction and remodeling, and entrepreneurship. He is a National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) Certified Remodeler and the 2016 recipient of a NARI Lifetime Achievement Award. He currently serves on the NARI of Madison Board of Directors and MHAEDC Land Use Development and Workforce Development Committees.
Jeff and Mary are proud to lead a team of nearly 50 professionals who operate from the company’s offices in downtown Madison and Blue Mounds, Wisconsin.
JG Development is proud to share with its clients many local, regional and national awards, a true testament to our commitment to clients and the quality of work we strive to achieve. We invite you to visit our division websites for a complete listing of awards:
- Brio Design Homes: Our residential new construction awards
- Vive Home Transformations: Our residential remodeling awards
- National Construction: Our commercial construction awards
- NCI-Roberts Construction: Our church, Christian school and nonprofit construction awards
At JG Development, we know that our team is the key to our success. We are committed to creating a workplace and jobsites where integrity and accountability are encouraged and recognized. We offer competitive pay and benefits, and high-quality training and resources. We are currently seeking qualified and motivated candidates for the following positions:
Project Manager: Posted: 05/16/2018
Primary Purpose and Function:
The Project Manager (PM) will report directly to the General Manager. The PM will have direct oversight for all the phases of the construction projects, which includes Contract Administration, management with the ability to oversee the project to ensure all contractual obligations are fulfilled. This position will ensure all schedules are generated, followed and adhered to. The Project Manager will review preliminary budgets, managing budget to actual, and approving project close out. They will use resource management skills to determine materials, equipment and crew needed to complete each job successfully. The PM should take a proactive role in learning about the client’s business needs and company culture, educate the project team, identify new business opportunities, and provide a high level of service. He/she will document all client/project meetings, and pertinent notes into company CRM software and attend company functions as needed. The Project Manager is integral in creating a strong relationship directly with the customer to educate them on the construction and care of their new product from the pre-construction meeting through the warranty period.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Four year Bachelor’s degree in construction administration is highly preferred
- 5-10 years’ experience in residential construction is required with 3 years’ experience functioning as a Project Manager
- Experience working in both remodel and new residential construction is highly preferred
- Excellent communication skills are required
- Knowledge in building systems is preferred
- Strong attention to detail and organization skills are essential
- Must have efficient time management and logical decision making ability
- Willingness to travel to and from construction sites
- Must have a high sense of urgency to meet the needs of the project and client
- Capacity to handle stressful situations
- Must have the ability to be customer focused and meet their needs
- Proactive follow up, both oral and in writing
- Diligence and accuracy in documentation and database use
- Clean driving record with current insurance coverage is required
- The ability to travel if requested
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provide consistent and accurate estimates on all projects.
- Determine the objectives and measures upon which the project will be evaluated at its completion and communicate these to the construction teams.
- Define the scope of the project and monitor with appropriate recommendations for cash flow and labor projections.
- Communicates with the customer on continuous basis to ensure the building process is enjoyable and educational by attending and/or conducting the Pre-Construction meeting, Electrical Walkthrough, Rough Mechanical Walkthrough, Home Orientation and Final Customer Sign-Off meetings.
- Create a detailed work plan which identifies and sequences the activities needed to successfully complete the project and review with Operations Managers and Carpenters on specific project.
- Review and sign subcontracts and create purchases orders when needed.
- Monitor the progress of the project to ensure the project stays on schedule. When necessary, make adjustments as necessary to ensure the successful completion of the project.
- Communicate consistently with the trade contractors to ensure they are on schedule with the necessary manpower to meet the schedule demands.
- Establish a communication schedule to update stakeholders including appropriate staff in the organization on the progress of the project
- Review the quality of the work completed with the project team on a regular basis to ensure that it meets the project standards
- Monitor and approve all budgeted project expenditures
- Determine the resources (time, budget, equipment, personal etc.) required to complete the project
- Manage day-to-day operational aspects of a project and scope.
- Effectively apply Company methodology and enforce projects standards to execute the project according to plans.
- Working with Project Coordinator ensure that all financial records for the project are up to date
- Assist in preparing or review with Project Coordinator pay requests monthly for each project review with Operations Manager.
- Inspect the completed work to ensure it conforms to plans, specifications, manufacture guidelines and company quality standards.
- Minimize our exposure and risk on project.
- Ensure project documents are complete, current and stored appropriately.
- Ensure all project legal documents are completed and signed.
- Utilize support person/Project Coordinator to fullest extent possible
- Selects and coordinates work of subcontractors working on various phases of the project.
- Oversees performance of all trade contractors and reviews architectural and engineering drawings to make sure that all specifications and regulations are being followed.
- Provides feedback on trade contractor performance.
- Responsible for proper administration of construction contracts, and for obtaining all necessary permits and licenses with assistance from Project Coordinator.
- Supervise leads on job site; reviews their reports, checks on any reported difficulties, and corrects any safety violations or other reported deficiencies.
- Tracks and controls construction schedule and associated costs to achieve completion of project within time and monies allocated.
- Reports to owners and architects about progress and any necessary modifications of plans that seem indicated.
- Implement and support systems, policies and procedures as directed by company
Project Job Costing:
- Review and manage project budget.
- Understand and implement our pricing model and billing procedures.
- Successfully interact and engage in the estimating process
- Facilitate and lead team and client meetings effectively.
- Lead regular status meetings with project team.
- Keep project team well informed of changes within the organization and general corporate news.
- Effectively communicate relevant project information to other team members.
- Develop and deliver engaging, informative, well-organized presentations.
- Resolve and/or escalate issues in a timely fashion.
- Understand how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully to other team members, clients and sub-contractors.
- Take ownership in overall processes by developing and implementing appropriate action.
- Manage day-to-day client interaction.
- Develop, implement and manage client expectations.
- Develop lasting relationships with client personnel that foster client ties.
- Communicate effectively with clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative solutions.
- Continually seek opportunities to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
Crew and Resource Management:
- Organize, schedule and coordinate daily crew schedules
- Provide technical, client, schedule and contract administration support to all carpentry crew members
- Assist crew with resource (tools, trades, vehicles, equipment, lifts, etc.) use, scheduling and purchase
Apply Today to become part of a great team!
Carpenter: Posted: 05/16/2018
The primary focus of this important position is to provide quality production of construction projects by using carpentry skills to construct and finish buildings and other structures, while also ensuring the details of all customer needs and the company mission are achieved.
- Assist in building and finishing structures for residential sites and for home improvement
- Ability to relay critical information (both written and mathematical) to construct structures using materials and equipment
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions
- Adept at establishing relationships with all parties involved in the construction process that facilitates strong working relationships during the project and permits prompt resolution of problems and conflicts as they occur
- Ability to organize assigned tasks for completion in the most efficient manner, alone or with help, when required
- Being responsible and aware of all project schedules and the ability to complete directions on all projects to facilitate schedules and meet customer objectives.
- Updating job knowledge by participating in and following instructions and training that is provided
Other duties include:
- Clearing and maintaining residential construction sites to be safe work zones and removing hazardous materials and maintaining a clean job site
- Performing a variety of tasks involving strenuous manual labor in residential construction projects (such as loading and unloading trucks and hauling and hoisting materials)
Knowledge/Skills/Qualifications and Expectations:
- Experience in residential construction and remodeling trades, practice, procedures and techniques,
- Experience with tools and equipment; including electric and pneumatic hand tools, lifts, vehicles and trailers
- Knowledge of building codes, standards, materials and use
- Skill in reading and understanding blueprints, plans and specifications
- Ability to demonstrate strong customer service, problem-solving and people skills
- Knowledge of and practice safe working methods
- High accuracy in work with a strong attention to detail to meet quality control standards and cost control standards (ability to manage change order management)
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule as well as work in a team environment as an effective member
- Ability to perform tasks on all areas and aspects of construction projects by lifting heavy objects, walking and standing for long periods of time and performing strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions. Requires the ability to climb ladders, work with tools, lumber, materials, lifting and manipulating objects, the ability to push, pull, and carry objects
- Valid driver’s license with proof of insurability is required
- Willingness and ability to travel if requested
Apply Today to become part of a great team!
We invite you to explore our galleries of current and recently completed projects in various stages of construction. It doesn’t always look pretty during the process, but the end results are often stunning and always completed to customer satisfaction.
If you have a question about a particular project, send us an email or give us a call at (608) 437-6181, and we’ll be glad to help you.
- Residential new construction and remodeling projects – by our divisions Brio Design Homes and Vive Home Transformations
- Commercial construction projects – by our division National Construction
- Church, Christian school and nonprofit projects – by our division NCI-Roberts Construction